Friday, February 25, 2011

Potty Training

So this morning I sent my son to his room to play...

  • I discovered quickly upon entering his room that he had done something in those "big boy" Thomas the Tank Engine underwear that we have discussed so many times that he should not do...
  • Sent him to the bathroom to wait for me while I collect myself and vow not to take my frustrations out on him...
  • Manage to clean him up, while calmly explaining to him how big boys should also poo-poo in the potty not in their shorts.
  • Send him to his room, and (joyfully) begin the task of cleaning the big boy shorts
  • Son appears and announces that he just got pee on his favorite doggy
  • Take doggy and toss him in the load of laundry I just started, while son sits on the toilet to see if anything else could possibly be left (I did not realize he was holding his favorite train)
  • Return to the bathroom to discover favorite train in toilet and son crying
  • Frustration definitely getting the better of me... send son to his room, again, and dive in the toilet after train (remember, I was cleaning out big boy pants just prior to this)
  • Wonder for the 1000th time how some parents blissfully proclaim that they are able to potty-train in one week, perhaps they are concealing the fact that poo-poo training takes considerably longer? Or maybe I am just blessed with an unusually stubborn son.
As I am later researching in vain for any pointers on how to make this training process easier on both of us, I realize that this season will pass and at some point my son will learn what I am trying to teach him. Hopefully, I will gain some more patience as well and perhaps learn a valuable lesson about comparing myself to others. After all, they are worth it...


1 comment:

Marti said...

It's so good to see those two cuties! I can't believe how soon she'll be a year old!

And I hope you aren't thinking of Punky at all when you think about potty training. She was exceptionally early. So was Boo. The other two were at the same point or even behind where he is now when they were his age. They're all just so different.

You are a great mom, and he will get there. I use to always tell myself, "He/she won't go to college wearing a diaper." Just a reminder that victory has to come someday (and it will be long before college). :)